Tuesday 31 January 2012

Jack White - Love Interruption



Although the White Stripes are no more, Jack White has been busy working with a number of collaborators (most notably Alicia Keys on the Quantum of Solace Bond theme). Now he's ready to release his solo material - debut album 'Blunderbuss' is available from April 23rd.

Love Interruption is the first taste of what's to come. And at just two and a half minutes, it really is just a taste. Typically sparse and rough, this is not so much a full song as a little ditty, sounding more like a demo. The guitar and clarinet intro is ripped straight from Dusty Springfield's Son of a Preacher Man. In fact, the song as a whole has a strong country-blues feel, not least for the touches of vocal harmony from Nashville's Ruby Amanfu. The gritty production emphasises the lyrics - a bitter take on love. "I want love to roll me over slowly, stick a knife inside me and twist it all around", it begins. The second verse begins unaccompanied for further impact on the line "I want love to walk right up and bite me, grab a hold of me and fight me, leave me dying on the ground". It's a single-minded, focused track with a clear purpose, probably relating to his divorce last year. Musically, however, there's just not enough content to merit repeated listening.

2/5

Listen: Love Interruption is taken from the upcoming album 'Blunderbuss' released on April 23rd.